Palmyra U13’s proudly represented their club in Singapore at the 2018 Centaurs International Mini and Youth Rugby Tournament held over the weekend 24-25 November. Teams attended from Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Perth and Indonesia.
In the seething heat of Singapore, the boys played seven 12 minute games of 10’s format rugby and finished a credible third place out of the eleven teams in their division.
In true Pally style, the boys, parents, and team supporters spent twelve months raising funds for the trip. Whilst rugby certainly teaches teamwork, the fundraising campaign provided life lessons in reward for hard work and planning. The end result of the fundraising campaign was a well kitted out team and enough left cash over to cover all accommodation, transport and some meals.
The tournament started with a team and supporters visit to the sombre Kranji War Cemetery. Here the team heard about the experiences of the nearly 5,000 men and women from many nations buried at Kranji. The boys were asked to reflect on the spirit of courage and sacrifice these soldiers were required to draw upon.
Day One saw four games played with the pleasing result of three wins and a draw. All games were played in the strength sapping tropical heat and the local teams certainly enjoyed the advantage of being well acclimatised. Playing four local Singaporean clubs, all games were fast paced and very physical. Invariably quick, nimble and aggressive, the local teams pushed Pally to their limits on Day One. A great lesson for the team from Day One was that a committed rugby spirit can certainly make up for size on the field.
A dip in the hotel pool and a fun team dinner was in order to finish off Day One and it was a tired Pally team that put their heads down on Saturday night.
Day Two saw the boys struggling to shake off the effects of the previous day’s heat and physicality. Two very close but nevertheless losing finishes unfortunately saw the boys miss out on the major final however they qualified for the third place final against the well performing Singapore Spartans.
Played on a well trodden and muddy pitch, the final was a very tough game and the boys dug deep to call on their energy reserves as the lead see-sawed to a draw. Two teams of bedraggled and mud coated warriors lined up for extra time and this time the Pally attack was furious with a quick try sealing the match for the West Australians.
Pally Under 13’s would like to thank the Club and the support of all who helped make this tournament a reality. Whilst everyone associated with the team contributed a lot of time and effort, some individuals deserve special mention:
• Coaches Brendan Tucker and Andy Rivett for their untiring passion and leadership throughout the season.
• Team Manager Jim Smith for his dedicated service to the team.
• Team Logistician Craig Parrick for the flawless organisation of the trip including kit, accommodation, transport and meals.
• Fundraising legend Ian Mitchell for his tireless chasing of sponsors and cooking of sausages.
• Tour Team Captain Dean Winarto for his leadership and scoring the winning try of the final!
A special mention to our sponsors including:
• Serco for washing the club jumpers throughout most of 2018
Updated 12:22 - 14 Dec 2018 by Palmyra Media
• Platinum – Freo Fire Services – Will Pender
• Gold – Industrial People
• Silver – One Residential and Competency Training
• Bronze – Sitting Pretty Furniture
• Supporter Packages – Character Living Building Co, Lisa O’Malley Bicton MLA,